I am sure you have heard of popcorn chicken but have you ever thought to try popcorn cauliflower?
Spoiler alert: I have a super yummy recipe for you to try in this blog
Winter is an interesting time in the garden. While a lot of my time is spent preparing the soil and garden beds in readiness for the warmer weather, there is still an abundance of beautiful food growing.
The one issue many of us who grow fruit and vegetables have to contend with is how to deal with an abundance of any one thing. Its a challenge l really enjoy because this is when I like to get creative with recipes. I thought it would be an interesting exercise though to ask my instagram followers for their favourite cauliflower dish for a little inspiration. One suggestion that really stood out for me was popcorn cauliflower. Umm YES of course! Why didn’t I think of that? Every time we dine at one of our favourite Gippsland restaurants, Neilson’s in Traralgon, l always order it. I didn’t want try to replicate their exact recipe. I wanted to come up with my own version with lots of aromatics, also I have a tendency to sneak in gut loving ingredients such as apple cider vinegar and bone broth where ever I can. You don’t really notice the flavours of these but any where I can add in an extra dose of these in my meals l will.
So using homegrown cauliflowers, limes & coriander , as well as our Cider Tonic & Tonemade bone broth and my homemade kefir, ( but you can use natural yoghurt if you prefer) I have come up with a super tasty & healthy spin on the classic popcorn chicken.
Indian Style Popcorn Cauliflower with Mango Yoghurt
- 300 Grams Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 100 ML Cider Tonic
- 1/2 TSPN Dried Chili Flakes
- 1/2 TSPN Murray River salt flakes
- 1 Cup Besan Flour
- 1 TSPN Tonemade dehydrated bone broth I used chicken because that is what l had on hand but you could also use their Vegan variety
- 3 TSPN Ground cumin
- 3 TSPN Ground coriander
- 1 & 1/2 TSPN Ground turmeric
- 2 TSPN Mustard seeds I used both yellow & brown mustard seeds
- 1 Whole Egg Lightly beaten
- 3/4 Cup Soda Water
- 1 Whole Lime Cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 Small Bunch Coriander leaves
- 170 Gram Natural yoghurt I used our homemade Kefir
- 3 TSPN Mango chutney
- Your choice of oil for deep frying
- Place cauliflower florets, Cider Tonic, chili & salt into a bowl to marinade for 20 minutes. This will help to tenderize the cauliflower and add a zingy tang.
- Meanwhile into another bowl add the besan flour, spices, Tonemade bone broth, egg & soda water and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Now prepare the dipping sauce by mixing together the yoghurt & mango chutney, set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Start heating your oil to approx 165-170 degrees
- To start cooking your popcorn cauliflower, drain off the Cider Tonic mix from the cauliflower and lightly pat dry. Dip your cauliflower pieces into the batter and carefully place into the heated oil in small batches. It will only take a minute or so to cook.
- Drain the cauliflower and place onto some paper towel while you are waiting for the rest of your cauliflower to cook.
- Season with salt, serve with the mango yoghurt dipping sauce, lime wedges and chopped coriander.
I would love to hear how you go making my popcorn cauliflower, or if you have your own favourite cauliflower recipe you would love to share I would be keen to check it out.
Anyway back to the garden for me.
Until next time, get out there & enjoy the little things in life.
Remember to love your guts like l love your guts!